Making your own homemade dog toy is a fun project that is fast, simple, and inexpensive.
The following instructions will show you how to make a braided fleece rope toy. This inexpensive dog toy will cost you less than $5 to make, and shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes to complete! (Similar toys sell in pet stores for over $10!)
What you will need:
- 3 – 1/4 yard pieces of fleece
- 2 rubber bands
- measuring tape
How to make your homemade dog toy:
- Cut 3 strips from your fleece, the width of the strips is dependent on how heavy you want the braid -
- 3″ wide for a lightweight toy
- 5″ for a medium weight toy
- 8″ + for a heavy weight toy
- Lay the strips on top of one another and tie one rubber band 6″ from the end.
- Hold the end with the rubber band between your knees and braid the strips of fleece tightly together.
- Braid it to your desired length. (remember you will lose some length in the knots)
- Rubber band the other end of the braid.
- Tie a loose knot and slide or cut the rubber band off.
- Pull on the knot as hard as you can to tighten it.
- Trim the end tabs to about 3″, and cut in thirds.
- Repeat knotting and trimming for the other end.
- Tie a knot in the middle of the rope if you like.
- Now you have your very own homemade fleece rope dog toy!
- The tighter your knots, the longer the toy will last. So pull them REALLY TIGHT!
- Try braiding a round rawhide chew into the fleece for an extra treat.
- Make sure you do not use any fabric that has been treated with chemicals, such as a flame retardant.
- You can re-purpose your old and worn fleece jackets instead of buying fleece fabric new. Just cut them into strips.
- Inevitably this toy will get all nasty from the puppy lovin’ it will receive, just throw it in the wash to get it squeaky clean.
- If your dog is a heavy chewer or likes to rip apart his toys, do not cut the ends in thirds, it will make them easier to rip.
- If you want another great homemade dog toy idea, I recommend the tutorial for Making a Monkey Fist Knot Rope Dog Toy.
If you like this article, I’d appreciate your sharing this by voting for it on DIGG, Stumble, Shoutwire, deli.cio.us and other great sharing sites.